Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sewing and Sewing and Sewing

I have been sewing and sewing for Emily.  It is just too fun to watch a cutting of fabric go from puzzle pieces to a cute little dress or little outfit.  To me, it's just as enjoyable as watching a seedling grow into a beautiful plant and then bloom.  I've been super busy making things for her...and in doing so, I've found that I love fabric.  Unfortunately, I bought enough fabric for about 12 outfits when she was 3-4 months old that I wasn't able to use since now she cannot fit into anything that I can make out of just one yard of fabric.  I will figure out something to do with that fabric though...especially since tonight, I'm purchasing my first embroidery/sewing machine combo.  I cannot wait to do some embroidery things and maybe even start selling them.  I found some instructions on how to make self-binding blankets, so I have been making flannet receiving blankets as well.  What a cute idea to be able to do some monogramming or applique to the blankets I make. :)  I am SO EXCITED.  Anyway...here are some of the things I've made that I have not posted.  I just thoroughly enjoy doing this.  One day, Emily will be too old to want to wear anything homemade, and she'll probalby roll her eyes at a homemade gift (like all kids do eventually) so I'm putting the work in now while she doesn't know any better. :)

Here are the letters I painted for Emily's room.  They are supposed to be Zebra print.  Some letters look better than others (hey, they're free-hand), but they now hang above Emily's baby bed. :)


My favorite...the Emily Blanket.  I made the blanket and even made my own bias tape for the binding.  I paid a lady to do the monogramming, but soon will be able to do it myself. :)

I wanted to alleviate some of the pressure on my sister's back when she held Emily.  I made this sling after seeing a lady using one in the grocery store.  It is a little awkward getting the thick fabric in the rings well, but it was a nice gesture.  I think they used it twice. :)

The first outfit I made Emily.  Until she started crawling, the elastic was a little too tight around her legs.  Now she can wear it just fine.


I planned on making this around Easter, but ran out of time, so she can wear it during the summer when it gets HOT, HOT, HOT.

I absolutley LOVE this little outfit.  Once she has a chance to wear it, I'll determine if I need to increase the size and I'll make more.  Maybe camoflauge with pink trim. :)

I've had this fabric for a while and didn't really know what I was going to do with it. So...I made it into this simple little dress.


These are the first two self-binding blankets I made.  They take about 10 minutes to actually sew. What takes the longest time is ironing the fabric and then making sure it's cut into an exact square.  I LOVE doing these.  Now that I'll have my embroidery machine, I can make personalized receiving blankets.  How fun is that going to be! :)
 
This is Emily's Easter Dress.  It also has a hat with a brim and bow that I do not have a picture of, other than the one I took with her in it.  I wish I could post it, but since my sister still doesn't want pictures of Emily on the internet, you'll just have to imagine what it looked like. :)

I made several flowers to attach to headbands that included a clip on the back as well.  That way, now that she has enough hair, she can wear the flower without the headbands too.

No comments:

Post a Comment